Saturday, November 22, 2008

"Class of '74 Newsletter - 2008"

James D. Rhodes - hondo_owls@yahoo.com


2008

(34 years....and counting....)

Well....I put down the pen a few years ago, thinking someone would pick it up....BUT NOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!! So I thought..."Is it that no one feels they can measure up .....
or..maybe.....NO ONE ELSE IS SO OVERLY SELF-INVOLVED AND OBVIOUSLY NARSSISTIC to want to go into so much self.......OH NEVER MIND....THEIR I GO AGAIN....
Anyway, I thought we’d do a quick update on a few folks and start thinking about the next reunion which will probably happen sometime around HOMECOMING, OCTOBER, 2009!!!!
I’ve heard from JANE TURNER who lives up the road in San Antonio She has apparently retired from teaching and looking at new options for her life......I told her to travel...but you would expect that from a travelholic like me!!! I remember the last reunion, she didn’t look a bit different than when she was in high school. I don’t know how some people do it!!! As I get older, I seem to look more like a cross between Homer Simpson and Santa Claus....OH...there I go again...making it all about me.......
I spoke to LEE HANEY for the first time in a while. He is still practicing law in Brownwood and trying to get his last son raised and out of the house. His older son finished school with a degree in Philosophy and in married and I believe, living somewhere near Houston. I had called him after watching the "Battle of Britain" one Saturday and reminded him of the time we saw the movie the first time at the old Bowie theater....aaahhhh....the memories...GOOD TO HEAR FROM YOU LEE.......
BRIAN SAYERS still lives in Austin with his family but is working more in the area of medical research these days. He also mentioned that he was attending seminary though I did not get all the details. I think one of the good things about being alive today is that you can change careers or focus later in life.....I don’t think our parents would have even considered it.....
MARGIE LOCKWOOD MAREK told me she is finally getting her youngsters through college.
She still lives in Coppell with her husband and seemed as positive as ever. GLENN JONES is still coaching over in Brady. He and his family still seem to be going strong. Somehow he and I always get do what friends are never supposed to do....talk about politics!!!! But we haven’t killed each other yet....sooooo..... DEBRA SKELTON MCCORKIN has finally moved back from merry old England. She had lived there for about 20 years with her husband. It’s fun to hear her talk as she’s developed a slight accent.....I wonder if it will ever change back.....( My wife is from London....she’s been her 33 years and has a TEXLAND ...or is it..ENGXAS......never mind....)
Some of you might remember watching a T.V. show called, "Slam Bang Theater" on Channel
11 when we were growing up. It featured a character named "Icky Twerp." His real name was Bill Camfield. It came on every morning from 7:00 to 8:30 a.m. and again from 3:30 to 5:00 p.m. I remember watching it religiously. Bill Camfield and KTVT were instrumental in bringing back the "Three Stooges" to television in the southwest and they experienced a rebirth of popularity at that time. I met his son who lives in Kerrville and now works at Schriener University. In his memory, he developed a website at: http://www.ickytwerp.net./
It was amazing at how many people wrote in and talked about the creative affect that the show had on them. Just shows you the effect things like this have on children and the development of creativity! CHECK IT OUT!!!
LIZANNE SLAYTON PEEL lives in San Antonio, Texas and works in Nursing. I didn’t get much other info from her except I do remember that she too didn’t look any different at the last reunion than when she was in high school. It’s been good to correspond with her!
GLENN DAVIS keeps in touch. He gets to Brownwood from time to time and told me about his kids. He told me about the success of his business which sounds like it keeps him busy and traveling. He’s corresponded about the reunion and been quite helpful. Good to hear from you!
Well, better take some time to talk about the next reunion. The general consensus seems to be for:
Brownwood Homecoming Weekend
Saturday, October 2009.
As far as a location, I think Ronnie and Donnie are still working on that. I thought the place we had last year was adequate. Several of you discussed the idea of combining with the Class of ‘75 as well. I think that’s a good idea as they apparently have not had much in the way of numbers attending there’s in the past. Let’s get some more talk going about that.
WEEEELLLLLL .....I.I.I can’t help myself....I have to catch you all up on my exciting and wonderful existence...(ha!). Mo and I finished our little "Casita" down in San Miguel de Allende, GTO., Mexico which is to be a retirement home. If you want to check it out, go to
http://www.youtube.com/ . In the search engine type in: San Miguel - House . Go to the second page and look for James Rhodes next to a picture of a small house. It’s a little 7-8 minute video. Let me know what you think!
I think that’s all for now. Remember to get me your E-MAIL so I can keep you updated on the reunion. I’ll use this site and newsletter to update you on different folks lives and to communicate about the Reunion.


......Happy Thanksgiving....Merry Christmas....Happy Hannukuh
....and anything else I might have missed!!!!!!
 



James
 
 
 
 

No comments: